Please print off a copy of the plan sheet below:
Timed Essay Feedback
Some general feedback on timed essay for climactic scene (individual feedback will be handed in to Mrs King tomorrow:
- Some good analysis in these pieces, giving connotations and what they are used to highlight to the audience.
- It’s clear you understand the film well, and provide clear knowledge of the characters, plot and techniques used.
- You are able to comment on how Mendes uses film techniques to convey meaning.
Overall Areas for Development
- Make sure your introduction refers to the question and the techniques you will discuss.
- Refer to the question throughout.
- Stick to ONE technique and example thereof in each paragraph.
- Work on completing the essay in the allocated time – you should be practising at home.
- Phrasing can sometimes be confusing – check your work carefully, and read over each paragraph under your breath as you finish them.
- Use present tense when writing a critical essay, e.g. “Mendes uses…”
- Always be specific – don’t just say “This shows us about Bond’s past.” WHAT about his past? Tell us!
Below is a document, which goes through the full film, including detailed notes for analysis – read over it to add to your own notes and understanding of the film.
I’ve also included the updated PowerPoint we have worked on together, for both the full film and the questions on gender roles.
Folks, a reminder that your discursive pieces should be handed in to me on Friday 17th March.
- I require both a printed and digital copy.
- DO NOT staple the printed copy together.
- It should be in the folio template available on the SQA website
- It should include your Scottish Candidate number, sources and word count.
PowerPoint for your perusal, dears:
Your mini essay question is:
Discuss the representation of gender in ‘Skyfall’.
Mini essay – introduction, three paragraphs and a conclusion, with specific examples from the film in support.
Due Wednesday 1st March
I will be giving out your discursive essays on Friday when I see you, and your next draft is due in on Friday 16th December. This is not negotiable, and I will not accept any late submissions.
Overall feedback from those I have marked so far is as such:
- Technical accuracy needs a lot of work – this is not optional. You have even less excuse when this is typed up, and I’m seeing a lot of very basic errors, which suggest that people have not checked their work before handing it in. You are in a Higher class. Please take responsibility for the quality of work you submit.
- Overall arguments must be clear throughout the essay – for some, I am unsure what you are trying to persuade me of. Be clear.
- Use of PEE structure – ensure you provide evidence to support your individual points, and evaluate how that evidence supports your overall argument. You can;t just list some statistics and hope for the best.
I have included the handouts you were given previously – please use these when redrafting. Below is also a link to an example essay and commentary on the SQA Understanding Standards website, which scored 13 out of 15. Refer to this when you are writing.