Your next draft is due Wednesday 4th October – please ensure you attach the marked draft to you new one when you hand this in.
Folks, a reminder that your discursive pieces should be handed in to me on Friday 17th March.
- I require both a printed and digital copy.
- DO NOT staple the printed copy together.
- It should be in the folio template available on the SQA website
- It should include your Scottish Candidate number, sources and word count.
I will be giving out your discursive essays on Friday when I see you, and your next draft is due in on Friday 16th December. This is not negotiable, and I will not accept any late submissions.
Overall feedback from those I have marked so far is as such:
- Technical accuracy needs a lot of work – this is not optional. You have even less excuse when this is typed up, and I’m seeing a lot of very basic errors, which suggest that people have not checked their work before handing it in. You are in a Higher class. Please take responsibility for the quality of work you submit.
- Overall arguments must be clear throughout the essay – for some, I am unsure what you are trying to persuade me of. Be clear.
- Use of PEE structure – ensure you provide evidence to support your individual points, and evaluate how that evidence supports your overall argument. You can;t just list some statistics and hope for the best.
I have included the handouts you were given previously – please use these when redrafting. Below is also a link to an example essay and commentary on the SQA Understanding Standards website, which scored 13 out of 15. Refer to this when you are writing.
Hope you’re all having a good break. Just a reminder of Ho rework you should be completing:
- Persuasive essay draft 1 – due Wednesday 26th October
- Close reading assessment – begins Wednesday 26th October (PLEASE revise your formulae and read quality journalism to prepare – links to help will be in a following post)
- Close reading homework – due Wednesday 26th October (this will help prepare you for the assessment so don’t ignore it in favour of other things)
- Talk assessments on your dream trip – begin Wednesday 2nd November (this is names out a hat, so EVERYONE must come prepared)
Remember folks, you should be researching and starting to write your first draft of your persuasive essay. For those of you looking at the impact of social media, there’s an interesting article in The Observer today:
This homework is due on Wednesday 24th August.
- Read the article ‘Libraries: Cathedral’s of Our Souls’.
- Find and quote AT LEAST TEN examples of the persuasive techniques the writer has used.
- Now, using your Close Reading formulae, ANALYSE the writer’s use of language for these techniques.
E.g. The use of emotive language in “hospitals of the soul”.
- What the image suggests: Just as a hospital is somewhere where people are cared for and helped…
- What the writer is using it to tell us: … so too do libraries help improve our emotional wellbeing, providing us with somewhere safe, where we can improve our state of mind and understanding of ourselves.