‘The Great Gatsby’ by F. Scott Fitzgerald is a novel about the deterioration of the American dream, the emptiness of celebrity, and how soul-destroying it can be to cling to the past.
Today we discussed the nature of Celebrity Culture. Consider these questions:
- What is celebrity culture?
- Why are we interested?
- What would perhaps be missing in the life of a celebrity?
- Are there consequences to fame?
- Do you think that moral values would be affected by it?
We also briefly discussed the idea of the American dream – that everyone is able to strive for success and prosperity through hard work, no matter their background. But what obstacles would stand in someone’s way in their search for this ‘dream’?
HOMEWORK, DUE Friday 16/08/2013:
Read Chapter 1 of ‘The Great Gatsby’ and consider the characters we meet:
- Who are they?
- What are they like?
- What social backgrounds do they come from?
- What are our first impressions of them?